Monday, January 5, 2009

The floppy icon

Open any program. Go ahead. If there's a SAVE option, there's a floppy icon. The floppy is so old, I don't think I've ever seen one more than once or twice. The storage capacity is minimal, yet it's still the SAVE icon. I doub't you could find a new computer with a floppy drive. Heck, I bet you couldn't find and old 2000 model with a floppy drive. You probably couldn't find a floppy, either. If you were to dig around on CraigsList or a mom and pop computer store, you might find a floppy or a floppy drive. The best place to look would be the ever-growing outdated computer museum. Maybe they'll sell one too you. Even Spore, one of the most advanced and newest games (or program, period) on the market, has a floppy next to its SAVE option. If anything can survive ten years in the computer world, even just as a 16px by 16px icon, then it deserves to stay.
LONG LIVE THE FLOPPY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008 by Trevor Corp